Information about Red White & Blue Fire Protection District
Although our name is patriotic, Red, White and Blue originates from three different fire companies that were organized in
1882 to protect the mining district of Breckenridge after three large fires almost destroyed the town.
Red, White and Blue is a career department with approximately 50 paid personnel in 4 divisions: Operations,
Administration, Community Risk Management Division, and the Division of Training, Safety, and Health.
Together, building a safer community through prevention, preparedness and response.
In 1947, the fire department changed names to the Breckenridge Volunteer Fire Department until 1976 when a special taxing district was officially formed renaming the department to the Red, White and Blue Fire Protection District as it is called today. We cover approximately 140 square miles of Summit County, Colorado, including the towns of Breckenridge and Blue River, the Breckenridge Ski Resort, and unincorporated sections of Summit County. Our district boundaries are Hoosier Pass to the South, Frisco town limits to the North, the Continental Divide to the East, and the Ten Mile range to the West.