Although our name is patriotic, Red, White and Blue originates from 3 different fire companies that were organized in 1882 to protect the mining district of Breckenridge after 3 large fires almost destroyed the town. The 3 companies were the Red: The Pioneer Hook and Ladder Company, White: The Independent Hose Company, and Blue: The Blue River Hose Company. Collectively, they were called the Red, White and Blue Volunteer Fire Department.
In 1947, the fire department changed names to the Breckenridge Volunteer Fire Department until 1976 when a special taxing district was officially formed renaming the department to the Red, White and Blue Fire Protection District as it is called today.
Area of Coverage
We cover approximately 138 square miles of Summit County, Colorado, including the towns of Breckenridge and Blue River, the Breckenridge Ski Resort, and unincorporated sections of Summit County. Our district boundaries are Hoosier Pass to the South, Frisco town limits to the North, the Continental Divide to the East, and the Ten Mile range to the West.
Red, White and Blue is a career department with approximately 60 paid personnel in 5 divisions: Operations, Administration, Community Risk Management, EMS, and Training. The department responds to approximately 2,900 calls per year out of four stations. The career firefighters work a 48-96 schedule (2 24-hour shifts, 4-days off) among 3 shifts.
The District Offices are located in Station 6 at:
316 North Main Street
Breckenridge, CO 80424
The Division of Training operates out of the High Country Training Center in Frisco.
Insurance Services Office Rating
The District enjoys an Insurance Services Office (ISO) rating of 2 in all areas serviced by a water system, and a two “x” (2x) in all other areas of the District.
Please stop by Station 6 for a tour of our Museum and a view into the history of firefighting in Summit County, Colorado.
Learn more about the history of the Town of Breckenridge by visiting the Town of Breckenridge.